The Dark Knight Rises came out this weekend. There was some unfortunate news related to its nationwide premier, however. I guess this will put to the test the adage of “there’s no such thing as bad publicity.” Of course, it would be public relations suicide for Warner Bros. to indicate the incident, and its subsequent coverage and tangential connection to their film, helped their sales in any way.
- Virginia Tech Massacre? No noted copycats.
- The shooting of Gabrielle Giffords? No noted copycats.
- The Beltway Snipers? No noted copycats.
- Columbine Highschool Massacre? Yes! A couple of kids in England attempted to recreate the event on its 10th anniversary.
- 10 Deadliest U.S. Shootings at the Washington Post
- Twilight Language Blog, which details connections (plausible and implausible) between events.
- 10 Notable Copycat Killers at How Stuff Works, note how their examples of copycat killers often take place years after the initial event and even then are often more inspired by the source rather than a mimic of it.