|Art by Lysol-Jones|
There’s something about Abraham Lincoln that makes people want to portray him as being larger-than-life. Personally, I think it’s because of his placement in history: long enough ago to seem like “really really far back,” yet recent enough that there are photographs of him. He happened to make his footprint on history at a point where technology–the big distinction to modern society between then and now–was just becoming what we’re familiar with. As a result, it seems like a good place to link the fantastical (often associated with a then, similar to how fairy tales start with “long ago”) with the mundane (some stodgy old historical figure.) So how about those alternate Lincolns?
- There’s Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter in theaters now, based on a recent novel.
- And of course the knock-off movie, Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies, made by the good folks at The Asylum.
- In the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie we had to see the nefarious Time Lincoln.
- Not to be confused with Time Lincoln the comic book series published by Antarctic Press.
- Also in comics, it turns out that another time traveling Lincoln had to face off with werewolves.
- Abraham Lincoln has, of course, gone steampunk because why not?
- In the comic book series Invincible (a favorite of mine) there is an immortal superhero who used to be Abraham Lincoln.